Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Wife, The Queen

(2nd story from the Hostess days)
The disgruntled hostess would like to make comparisons of her personal life with the customers she meets. 

I am a relationship disaster. I somehow always make a beeline for the ‘assholes’ and after a blissful and brief courting, I find myself not content with the affair, and after a few days, I am morose over the breakup.

A girlfriend of mine tells me that I need to be with a man who will worship me. She says that I am too nice to the men I meet, and need to show more ‘attitude’ to them. Well, I don’t know when I’ll learn that and find Mr. Right. Unlike me, my girlfriend made her man chase her for six months! What a lucky woman!

But then, an incident happened at the restaurant after which I wasn’t sure if I want a man to worship me.

It’s a weekday evening, and a middle-aged couple walk in. I take them to their table. The lady critically inspects the table, and having not much of a choice, sits down. She then proceeds to the washroom.

After a while, she comes up to me and indignantly tells me that there is no water in the washbasin tap. (The taps in our washrooms are modern where they have to be pulled out to open.) I try to convince her that there is water in the taps, and that the taps have to be opened in a specific way. But she is not ready to believe me and tells me that she has tried to open the taps in every way and that there really isn’t any water in the taps. I tell her that I would come down with her to the washrooms and show her how the taps work, but she just wouldn’t budge.

Then her husband comes in and intervenes. She puts on an innocent face and cries to her husband that there is no water in the washrooms, and that her hands are covered with soap. I tell him that there is water, but it just depends on how you open the taps. Then the woman starts whining that she is so tired and that she cannot walk down the stairs again. She wants to wash her hands at the bar, but obviously, I can’t let her do that. (No customers, not even the servers can come into the bar area. It’s the domain of the bartender!) The woman is whimpering and whining to her husband now. Jeesh! Doesn’t she have a spine?

The husband obviously couldn’t bear to see his wife in distress and requests us to let her wash her hands at the bar.

What could I do now? And so, the bartender lets her wash her hands there, and then she just haughtily walks out of the restaurant with her husband following her.

That really left me exasperated that a woman could male such a deal over washing her hands, and even more peeved to see how her husband caters to her every whim and fancy! She didn’t even look the type who did any cooking and housework!

So, this makes me wonder, do I really want a man like that? Definitely, NOT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment