Saturday, August 27, 2011

Food for Thought


(Written in 2008)

The food on my plate stares at me, and I stare back. It makes me ponder. I guess that’s why it’s called, ‘Food for Thought’.

Two years ago, a meal was never eaten alone. There was always my family to eat with or friends. Now, time seems to have passed by in a flash, and I am sitting by myself, looking at the food on my plate, and reflecting.

Whenever I used to see someone eating by themselves, I thought of them as lonely people. Right now I am eating by myself, but I am I lonely? Not in the true sense but I am alone, away from the people I love the most.

Ever since I’ve come to Canada, food always reminds me of home. The patter of cooking utensils, Mom giving instructions to the cook, and the pleasing aroma of a home-cooked meal. These were things I used to take for granted. When I wouldn’t eat my meal, my mother would be after me to eat my food. Now, there is no one to ask whether I’ve eaten or not.

Living away from home obviously endeavors us into our venture of cooking. And me, being armed with my basic cooking skills, try to satisfy my taste buds with a taste of home. However, there always seems to be something missing. What is it? One day, I very bravely endeavored to make a particular dish that my mother makes. I had the hand written recipe from her, and was sure that it would be perfect. But after an hour into, it looked nothing like it should have. And the taste, well, I’ve definitely tasted better. I really miss my mother then. I wish she were here, taste my cooking, and give me a tight hug.

Well, my mother and family aren’t here, but I do have my friends. And my friends are like my family. So now, I never miss out on an opportunity to eat with them, and then the food feels more fulfilling. After all, doesn’t food taste better with people you love?

In fact, I have a pact with a friend to try different cuisines every Sunday, and till now, we’ve had quite an interesting gastronomical experience! The best one yet was last week when we went to try out Korean cuisine. Our table had a grill in the middle of it, and we were quite curious to learn how it works. Our server was very friendly, and patiently taught us how to cook the food on the grill. He created an ambience that made us enthusiastic to cook our food (an ordeal which we usually dread). In the end, we cooked a sumptuous meal and relished every bit of it.

What is it about food that makes us so reflective? Is it the effect of food itself? Or is it the solitude we give ourselves when we sit down to eat? I am grateful for the food that I eat because there are others who are less fortunate and do not even get to eat the healthy food that they need. We do take a lot of things for granted, and as we sit down to eat, we all should reflect on the day gone by and the day to come, to remember the people we love, and not take things for granted. And above all, thank God for the food on our table.

But food shouldn’t be taken in all seriousness. There is also the fun-loving side of food. There is comfort food, and the food of love.

So, drink, eat and be merry, for tomorrow we shall diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment