Saturday, August 27, 2011

Laundry (an ode to the Dhobi)


Oh dear Dhobi,
What is the secret wonder to the fresh clean clothes you get for me?
The summery clean smell of Surf Excel,
The chamak of Neel on my white clothes,
And the crisp Revive starch on cottons.
I have laundry to do on my own,
Which is quite a task for us Indians abroad.
Oh I miss you Dhobi,and you too Mom.
Can I mix the whites with dark?
How do I remove stains from clothes?
What do I do if my clothes bleed?
What do I do to get back the vitality of my clothes?
My clothes are so sad,they look dull.
There is all the wrong colour on them.
Pink on white,black on yellow.
Its a war in the washers and dryers out here,
They miss the softness of being washed with our old age style of hands.
My clothes are not modern,
They do not conform to technology,
They need the loving care of the Dhobi (and you too Mom).
So my dear,dear Dhobi
Would you come away with me?
To fulfill the dreams of my clothes
And make them fresh and bright again?

No comments:

Post a Comment